Last week I had the pleasure of meeting the creative minds, Kate and Marianne, behind the delicious ice cream at The Creamery; needless to say I was truly inspired! Oh and I got to taste more of their decadent ice cream! Yum! The Creamery ice cream is an artisanal product in the truest sense of the word, from the care and attention to detail in the sourcing of ingredients, to the creative flare that is at the heart of developing different flavours.
The owner Kate Schrire is a slow food advocate. She received a diploma from the SA Chef Academy and went on to head up operations at the Sustainability Institute in Stellenbosh. Here began Kate’s dream to create a product that was both hand-crafted and sustainable. The Creamery was officially founded in November 2011.
To maintain sustainability they try to source the majority of their ingredients from local farmers and suppliers who are passionate about both sustainability and biodiversity. This often means using only products that are in season.
As I mentioned to Kate and Marianne (“the creative team”) while doing my tasting, their ice cream is more than “just ice cream” – it is more of a stand-alone desert, with original flavours like lemon curd swirl, chocolate orange curd swirl and roasted pear and cardamom. Of the flavours that I tasted, my two favourites would have to be the lemon ice cream and the coffee. They also scoop the usual crowd favourites like chocolate and vanilla, but I think you need to step out there and be a bit more adventurous when eating The Creamery ice creams and try something new!
The team at The Creamery are constantly evolving their flavours and spend a lot of time developing new products. As part of their ongoing development process, they are creating their own version of an ice cream sundae, which promises to provide us with yet another dreamy ice cream experience. The sundae will consist of their amazing ice cream (of course!), a sauce (preferably warm), and a textural component, like a cookie or brownie, nut, fruit or candy (all made by them). You can find out more about their amazing creation on their blog – here.
The most exciting news is that you can be a part of the development of their sundae flavours and at the same time, stand a chance of winning two 500ml pints of The Creamery’s stunning ice cream! Here is what you need to do:
- Have a look at The Creamery blog and tell us what your favourite choice of Sundae flavour combinations would be.
- “Like” Super Mom Blogs Facebook page (This way you can keep up to date with future giveaways & awesome posts!)
- You can give The Creamery and extra shout out on Twitter saying It’s all about the Sundae with @thecreamerysa and @Supermomblog
Please leave a comment on this blog, below the post, telling me what your favourite Sundae flavour combination is; along with your details in the comment section below this post (please include your email address). If you do not complete this step your entry will not be valid.
- This giveaway will run from the 13th June 2012, until the 19th June 2012. The winner will then be randomly selected and announced on my blog on the 20th June. The winner will also be notified by email that they have won.
- Conditions of entry: Anyone may enter this giveaway, but please note that The Creamery is based in Cape Town and the winner will need to collect their prize directly from The Creamery or from a market of their choice.
- The prize may not be exchanged for cash.