October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and with 1 in 29 women in South Africa having the potential to be diagnosed with Breast Cancer, it is definitely something we need to be more aware of! Many breast lumps are harmless, but they should all be checked. Many people adopt the attitude of rather not knowing and think that Cancer is something that will never happen to them. Well think again - ignorance is no way to live your life! It is important to be informed and educated, ensure that you examine your breasts regularly and if you are over 40, to go for regular check-ups to detect any abnormalities before they become life-threatening.
Having lost my own mom to cancer when she was the age I am now, health and well-being is something I am very passionate about and I want to ensure that my girls are informed and understand how lifestyle can affect your health. I thought I would include tips from the CANSA website on living cancer free:
CANSA’s Top Tips on living Cancer- Free
- Eat smart and healthy – Be cancer-smart when choosing, preparing and enjoying food. Avoid processed foods and include lots of fresh vegetables and fruits in your diet.
- Exercise and manage stress – Live a balanced, active lifestyle. Exercise is essential for building immunity and strength. If you’re fit, managing your day-to-day responsibilities will be less stressful.
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco - Limit the use of alcohol or avoid it completely and avoid the use of tobacco products.
- Go for regular screening – Take time to go for regular medical check-ups and screening. Do monthly breast examinations and go for regular Pap smears, every two to three years. Pap smears and breast examinations are important as they help to detect cancer early. The earlier cancer is detected, the higher your chance of surviving cancer. See Women’s Health Infographic and download Leaflets: Breast Cancer| Cervical Cancer.
- Establish a support system – Seek the company of those who inspire you, whether family or friends and spend quality time with them.
- Find daily inspiration – Feed your mind and soul with daily reflections that uplift you and give purpose and meaning to your life. Prayer and positive meditation can enhance your spiritual well-being.
- Nurture a positive attitude and sense of humour - Keeping a gratitude journal is a great way to keep you focussed on the positive. Laughter is nature’s medicine and strengthens your immunity. So have some fun!
- Complete treatment - Complete the treatment prescribed by medical and care teams if you are ill.
- Go for regular follow-ups – To avoid the recurrence of cancer, you should practice a balanced lifestyle and go for regular medical check-ups even after remission.
There are various campaigns running at the moment where you can show your support for Breast Cancer Awareness, so get your pink on and help support this most worthy cause! Buy a pink ribbon in support of Breast Cancer Awareness.
Super Mom Blog is going pink for the duration of October!