When last did you explore the Swartland Wine & Olive Route? I recently invited on a virtual journey with “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Swartland – The Extra Virgin Addition.” Hopefully, sometime soon, I will be able to do it in person!
Swartland Wine & Olive Route
The Swartland experiences a Mediterranean climate, which is ideal for growing olives. Long hot summers of the region, allow the Hardy, evergreen olive trees to thrive. Harvest takes place in autumn and winter.
The region produces premium extra virgin olive oils, which are amongst the best in the world. These range from single varietals to olive oil blends in delicate, medium and intense styles. Each oil reflecting each season’s bounty, as well as the individual estate’s terroir.
“The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Swartland – The Extra Virgin Addition.”
During our virtual tour Chef, Rory Lambson took us on a hike along the back roads of the Swartland to meet local olive producers. In addition, we learnt about the different styles of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Next was a tasting of the Swartland Wine & Olive Route liquid gold, as well as a food pairing with specially created dishes. Therefore allowing us to fully experience how the different styles of olive oil can enhance the flavours of food in everyday cooking. Also, to emphasize that olive oil is not only for cooking and quality does matter!
Olive Oil Pairings
These are the olive pairings that we enjoyed:
- Olive Boutique – a delicate olive oil paired with roast garlic skordalia.
- Kloovenburg Wine and Olive Estate – a delicate olive oil paired with roast Artichoke, Salami and Throubes.
- Lammershoek Winery – a medium intensity olive oil, paired with Roast Butternut, Pumpkin Seeds, Pistachio Nuts and Grilled Feta Crumb.
- Dragonridge Wines – a medium intensity olive oil, paired with Caprese with heirloom tomatoes, bocconcini and basil.
- Org de Rac – an organic intensive olive oil, paired with Rooibos and Oak-smoked Exotic Mushrooms.
- Het Vlock Casteel PPC – an intense olive oil, paired with Slowroast Beetroot Hummus.
Contact Details & Location
For more details about the Swartland Wine & Olive Route, call 022 487 1133 or email [email protected]
Location: Corner of Church and Voortrekker Street, Malmesbury, 7299.
©2010 – 2021 Inspired Living SA and Fiona Rossiter. Please do not use any images featured on this website without written consent from the copyright holder and owner.
Disclosure & Disclaimer
I was sent a hamper of Swartland Olive Oils, as well as the food pairings featured above. Images featured are styled and photographed by Fiona Rossiter. All information and rates are deemed accurate at the time of publication.