Being a parent can be tough at times. One of the things that I find most stressful as a parent is school exams. I know the kids are the ones who should be “stressing” but it’s hard not to join in. If you are also feeling the pressure, SkillUp Tutors could be the solution to your stress and your child’s study needs. [Read more…]
In April 2013, our passionately South African brand, Twinsaver Luxury partnered with TuGo, a proudly South African construction toy, to launch their incredible educational campaign.
In 2007, CEO of TuGo, Abel Chetty’s son was diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). ADD inhibits a child from concentrating for long periods of time, which proves to be challenging in classroom environments. Coupled with his wife, Chetty came to the decision to put in place a strategy to help him overcome some of the challenges associated with the condition. The result was the creation of an educational toy set which in turn has also motivated Twinasver Luxury to join forces and assist Chetty in changing the lives of all our children.
Available at CNA stores nationwide, Tugo Free-Play is a stand-alone construction set that encourages children to explore their imaginations by piecing together waste products like cores, cling wrap and foil, to create a masterpiece. The campaign aims to raise awareness about these educational toys, recycling as well as raise funds for a charitable cause.
From April to September 2013, Twinsaver Luxury will be collaborating with TuGo for an in-store promotion supported by a fantastic charity initiative for Cotlands. Each pack of Twinsaver Luxury bought allows consumers to sms a unique code to a number provided on the pack as an entry into a competition. Parents must look out for the coloured cores! For every sms entry received Nampak will donate TuGo blocks to Cotlands for their Toy Library, an area where the Cotlands children can be inspired and educated through. There are also educational prizes up for grabs like a R50 000.00 bursary monthly, various TuGo products as well as an Educational Family trip to the UK.
Hugh Wilson, Commercial Manager of Twinsaver Luxury says “ we really believe this campaign can make a difference in the lives of the less fortunate, education is the cornerstone of making this country great, and being a proudly south African brand we feel it’s time to give back and help make the difference”. To make a difference alongside Twinsaver Luxury and TuGo, and assist with a monetary donation, sms COTLANDS to 38810. Sms charged at R10, proceeds will go to Cotlands.
*This Competition Has Ended*
Hi everyone as you see we have a new name and a new logo! To celebrate this I am giving away two Mom and Baby Hampers! They are both crammed with lots of goodies for mom and baby, with a few added surprises which you will find when you receive your hamper. The two hampers are different as one is aimed at a “mom 2 be” and the other a “new mom” they contain stunning products which I have reviewed or featured in the past, including baby goodies, creams, special journals, baby books, Cd’s and more! As I said lots of great goodies.
Please share this competition with your family and friends! Its too good to be missed 🙂
How to enter:
- Follow Inspired Living on Facebook or Twitter (you must do either one to qualify for an entry)
- Leave a comment below telling me which hamper you would like to win (if you are entering for a friend or family member tell me who they are)
- Sign up for our new monthly newsletter below
Last Saturday I was invited to attend a Mom’s Morning hosted by Just Engage, at the stunning Banksia Boutique Hotel and Spa, in Cape Town.
Just Engage is an online but interactive antenatal course, created to assist those who are preparing to become parents. The amazing thing about the course is that it does not matter where you are located, whether it is Cape Town, Gauteng or Durban or some tiny village or town in between, you can have access to one of the most comprehensive courses this country has to offer.
Upon arrival at Banksia Hotel, each mom or mom to be received a wonderful goodie bag, filled with an array of products, vouchers and information leaflets. We were then given the opportunity to mingle and explore the beautiful Banksia Hotel – what a stunning location! A variety of yummy eats and gorgeous teas, were elegantly displayed and begging to be sampled 🙂 who could resist!
Sharon, the founder of Just Engage then invited us to take our seats and gave us a brief run down of the mornings events. She then introduced the guest speaker for the morning, Dr. Bavi Vythilingum, who is a mom, as well as a qualified Psychiatrist in private practice and an honorary senior lecturer at UCT. She previously held the position of the head of the Woman’s Mental Health Unit at UCT. Her clinical research interests are in the field of Women’s Mental Health.
Dr. Bavi Vythilingum’s talk focused on a mothers well-being post birth, high-lighting the very real issues surrounding Postnatal Depression(PND) and dealing with motherhood as a new mom. PND is something that can affect anyone after birth and the most important thing is to seek help! The amazing thing is, despite all her accreditation’s, even Dr.Vythilingum, was not immune to suffering from PND, once again illustrating that it can happen to anyone. As a mom you slowly realise, as you get older and wiser that “good enough” is often more than enough, so remember to not be so hard on yourself and simply enjoy the journey because no one is perfect!
Thank you to Sharon and the Just Engage team for a wonderful morning and spoiling us with wonderful prizes! I received a stunning baby bag from Living and Loving, which I will definitely be passing on to a new mommy 🙂
Just Engage is offering 10 Expectant Mommy readers a chance to receive 50% Discount off an antenatal course before August 2013. All you need to do is leave a comment below this post with your details and a contact email address and the first 10 readers to do so will receive an email with the code to secure your 50% Discount from Just Engage.
If you would like to find out more about Just Engage and the courses they offer please pop over to their website by clicking here. If you would like to keep up to date with future event dates you can also follow them on Facebook.
I am always amazed at the array of fantastic goodies that are available to parents! There is definitely so much more on offer for moms and babies, than when my kiddies were small!
The MooMoo Crawlie is a super cute, functional outfit for crawling and cruising babies. The grippy kneepads facilitate crawling on slippery floors (such as tiles, laminates, wood) for babies that are struggling to crawl and also provide protection and durability for the knees of those speed-crawlers!
MooMoo Crawlie dungaree and T-shirt sets are definitely one of the things I wish were around when my tots where crawling! Especially for my second baby, as she had the strangest crawling style and we ended up with many onesies with holes on the knees!
The Crawlie also comes with a matching long-sleeve T-shirt, they have (nickel-free) poppers for nappy changing ease, and a front pocket for dummy storage. Above all they are super soft and comfy for your little one and come in such cute designs. If not for your little one they also make a wonderful baby shower gift!
We are proud to be able to say that ALL MooMoo products are made locally, here in Cape Town. As part of our “local is lekker” philosophy, we make a point of using local fabric mills (sadly this is often no longer possible owing to mill closures), local print designs and local labour. We are proud to say that each MooMoo product is a genuine “South African original”! ~ MooMoo
If you would like to find out more about the MooMoo Crawlie and the other fantastic products they have on offer then pop over to their website by clicking here.
*Disclaimer: The MooMoo Crawlie was sent to me for review purposes but views and opinions are all my own.
Today I am bringing you news about a fun new festival, happening in Cape Town, it is something exciting for families and friends alike! It is the first ever FamFest, which takes place in Constantia, on Saturday April 27 2013. You can expect the beautiful sounds of a music festival and the wonderful goods of a market, with the added spectacle of a circus and you are still only half way there.
Director and Co-founder of 4Leaf Agency Frankie Hannigan, a father of three young boys, imagined FamFest into existence with children at the forefront and the festival prides itself on being 100% child-friendly.
Taking place on the Claremont Cricket Club fields in Constantia (next to Virgin Active Gym), the festival gates open at 10 am and close at 9pm, after the screening of a family-movie at an outdoor-cinema.
FamFest has four zones – a Kids Zone, a Teen Park, a Chill Out Area and the Main Stage – which flow seamlessly into each other. The Kids Zone, staffed by child minders, offers fun activities and entertainment for younger children. The Teen Park will include an acrobatic show, break dance demos and lessons, gladiator jousting, a mechanical rodeo bull, bouncy horse racing, Foosball and Air Hockey tables. There will also be a partly shaded Chill Out Area where families can relax and re-energise.
K, Ray and the Bird and the Rob Thompson Trio are two of the confirmed bands to light up the Main Stage – suitable for adults, this zone includes fully stocked bars with a great selection of wines.
The drink stalls are geared towards the youngsters including a selection of juice stalls, ice tea providers and slush puppy machines. Keeping food options simple, FamFest offers good old-fashioned, hearty selections to keep both young and old going.
Health, Safety and Security are paramount and every child is given a wristband on entry, with parents/guardians asked to write their telephone numbers on the wristbands. There is a clearly visible meeting point, with announcements made throughout the day to ensure smooth operations. There is also on-site medic.
We are very excited to be giving away a “Family Pack” of tickets to FamFest, to one lucky reader, which includes 2 x Adult Tickets (Including a cinema ticket) and 2 x Under 18’s Tickets (Including cinema tickets).*
To win these tickets please pop over to our Facebook Page and post: “Win FamFest Tickets from @4LeafAgency and @Supermomblog” – remember to tag yourself so that we can contact you if win! Or if you are not on Facebook the tweet: “Win FamFest Tickets from @4Leafagency and @supermomsablog” The winner will be announced next week Thursday.
Tickets are also available from Quicket, however there will be limited tickets at the gate on the day. Tickets for the Open Air Cinema Screening can be purchased separately to the festival ticket or as a package.
Visit the FamFest website for more information. Alternatively contact 4Leaf Agency on (021) 462 1529.
*Disclaimer: Anyone may enter to win the FamFest tickets but please be aware that the event is taking place in Cape Town, therefore the winner will need to be in Cape Town at the time of the event. Super Mom Lifestyle or 4Leaf Agency are in no way responsible for transport to or from the event.
In my opinion little girls are the easiest to buy for but then I don’t think I ever fully lost my inner child. I know there are others that will disagree with me and say it’s easier to buy for boys. Either way, today’s topic is all about young girls and what they like. I’ve done my research and found out what the latest crazes are in this category and I am ready to share with you. Hopefully this will be of help to you for an approaching birthday gift for that precious little blossom of femininity!
- Fairies – It seems that anything fairy is the rage. There are fairy dolls, fairy houses, stuffed fairies, fairy figurines, fairy costumes, fairy jewelry boxes, fairy books, fairy gardens, fairy castles, and even fairy terrariums! In the past few years the Tinker Bell movies have been coming out one right after the other which I suppose is why little girls love fairies so much. If you have ever seen one of those movies you can see why it’s appealing, it’s such a magical world with bright colors and sweet music.
- Weaving Looms – I’m so glad to see that the weaving looms are still around. The potholder weaving loom was one of my favorites as a child because it was so easy to use and I felt like I was making something great for mom to use in the kitchen! They have many different kinds of looms made for children, a couple which are easy for a six-year-old. I ran across one for this age group that can make scarves, purses, and handbags. Little girls love to create and this would be a great gift.
- Shrinky Dinks – I love Shrinky Dinks! What fun it is to design your own jewelry and accessories and then bake them and watch them shrink in the oven! Of course mom and dad will have to be on hand when the baking is done but this is something that is fun for some of us older folks too. I’ve even seen adults making creative tags and other items from Shrinky Dinks. I read where one mother helped her daughter in making friendship necklaces as Christmas gifts for her friends. Great idea!
- Stickers – Stickers and sticker books are always popular. I ran across one sticker set that was a mosaic. Similar to the paint by number paintings this one had you matching up the sticker to the appropriate number on the picture to create the final creation. There are many different sizes and shapes of stickers and books.
- Hidden Picture Books – I remember with my children these were always a hit. We would get a new book and see who the first person was to find the hidden pictures. I always loved it because as they start to grow up it gets harder to get them to sit quietly with you and share. My kids loved the Where’s Waldo books, the I Spy, and the Highlight’s Magazine.
- School Sets – Little girls love to play school and they have sets out there just to do that! This set will make her feel like a proper teacher. The sets have grade books, stickers, a clock, a bell, hall passes, a hand pointer, dry-erase board, calendars, maps, crayons, and more. All she will need is the students! I have a cousin with a young girl and she tells me that often times the family dog is her student!
- Bead Kits – There are some wonderful bead kits for girls. They can make bracelets, earrings, necklaces, and you name it. The kits come with everything you need to get started and keep you busy for hours. Girls love to create, especially things they can wear or give away to friends.
- Art Sets – The portable drawing sets that you can take with you on the road or to grandma’s house are a good idea for a child that loves to draw. Many sets come with the paper, colored pencils, pencil sharpeners, erasers, stencils, and more.
- Barbie Dolls – Always a favorite of girls over the years these dolls are still at the top of most girls lists. These dolls have all the clothes, shoes, and accessories to keep your Barbie in style. Here is an endless gift possibility since they are always coming out with new clothes, cars, houses, and carry cases. You can seldom go wrong with a Barbie.
- Dress Up Clothes – I recall my daughter putting on my heels and carrying around one of my purses at this age. Now they have the most adorable dress up clothes for little girls including tutus! They have cases full of clothing if you want to splurge or you can buy it piece by piece. They have fairy wings, magic wands, jewelry, shoes, and of course purses. The princess dresses are very popular as well which topped off with a crown completes the outfit for your little princess!
- Tea Sets – I do not know of a little girl who has not wanted to sit down and have a proper tea. There are all kinds of tea sets that are just precious. One I ran across in my research was a tea set that came with paints to paint your own tea set. This would be nice for the artsy child. We’ve all seen the pictures of the little girls having tea with her dolls or stuffed animals. This is a sweet gift to give any girl.
- Stamp Sets – All children love stamps and they have some really great stamp sets that come with multiple stamps, paper, and ink pads. It’s so much fun to decorate letters to family members and notes to friends with a cute stamp. Some of these sets actually come with stationary as well. If you are a grandma or aunt giving this gift you can be sure you will probably get a very sweet letter in return.
- Paper Dolls – Or should I say plastic? I loved paper dolls growing up but they were hard to work with sometimes. Now I see that they have plastic clothes that stick to the shiny surfaces of the dolls. These are like the Colorforms we used to play with. They still have the traditional paper dolls as well. There’s something about paper dolls that most young girls love.
These are just a sample of some of the gifts that little girls would like. Don’t forget about jewelry and jewelry boxes, these are always a hit. I spent quite a lot of time last year looking for the perfect jewelry box for my young niece. It came with a key necklace that locked the box so it was her secret treasure. Along these same lines little girls love diaries that lock especially after they learn to write! Some girls like taking pictures and keeping scrap books and there are some great scrap-book sets to be had. Finger nail and toe nail polishing kits are a hit but that’s a gift that needs supervision for sure! Any kind of clay or dough is popular at this age as well as sidewalk chalk to play hopscotch or just create a work of art. Books are always great gifts for any age. Oh, and I recall both my children loving memory games when they were this age. I know you remember these games; it’s where you turn over two cards and try to remember where the matching card is.
I hope this list has been helpful in finding that perfect gift for the little girl in your life. I know it stirred up some wonderful memories from my youth and my children’s. Most of these toys have been around for many years; one’s we have played with and loved. Times change but children stay the same, especially when they are this age.
Amanda Carlson, a blogger as well as a former newborn care nurse contributed this post. To stay connected to her previous career and share the knowledge she gained, she began writing for Newborn Care. You can reach her at [email protected]
*Images courtesy of Free Digital Photos
I am excited to announce that we are giving away 2 R500 Viral Choice Hampers to help boost your child’s immune system, especially before the start of winter and cold and flu season. Follow the simple steps on the Rafflecopter form below to enter.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
- This Giveaway will run from 19th March 2013, until the 27th March 2013. The winner/s will then be selected via the Rafflecopter form and announced on my blog and on Facebook. The winners will also be notified via email.
- Please complete all the necessary steps on the Rafflecopter form, to ensure that your entry in processed correctly (please use a valid email address). Your details will only be used to validate your entry and inform you, if you are selected as a winner.
- Conditions of entry: Anyone may enter this giveaway but please be advised that the various companies sponsoring prizes on Super Mom Blog, are based in South Africa and therefore prizes will only be shipped within South Africa. The prizes may not be exchanged for cash.